Monday, December 9, 2013

Stone slabs go into a pavement

There were many granite stone slabs salvaged from the floors and portions of the 100-year old house that was divided into two equal portions 4 years ago.  I managed to pull up dozens of them for reuse in my portion.  

They were of various thicknesses and dimensions as can be seen in these 2008 photos.  

This portion was later paved with longer stones, which had to be removed after just two years.  

[Picture 2008, being laid].  The new house had not been thought of at that time. 

The odd ones were given for covering the passage floor in the adjacent new house in our portion that was built recently.  With that, much of the stone junk was gone.  But many were retained for better use.  Besides the granite stone slabs, I had salvaged many lovely Cuddapa slabs [seen stacked in the picture below] also that were used as floor of the dilapidated room that was pulled down to build that new house.  I  had got them cut from the stone smith who had to be called in for this emergency work which he is attending in this picture.  But after he did some work that eventually was a flop in the project, I got these Cuddapa slabs cut neatly disposing off the unwanted ones with the debris. 

One good, wide slab was cracked.  So I it used it in the floor of the 'tools shed' I built [another post] from mostly junk material. I arranged the neater ones in full size as floor in the tile-roofed open shed adjacent to the tools shed.  This is visible in one picture below. In front of this is the passage from our back door.  This passage ground had to be paved as most of the water coming out of the open yard was let out here and the walls are showing dampness because the soil is always moist. I had put the slabs as stepping stones as a temporary measure and had not found time for doing it neatly.  Last week, I picked up that project, staying away from work, and completing it. 

This is the passage. See those two slabs placed side by side. That is the area.  The shed frame is ready. Picture taken when work was incomplete. The better Cuddapa slabs were used as floor to that shed. 

See the shed, now having roof. See the slabs lined up. The Yarden space is also visible.  

This is the eye-level view - taken at the same time as above, 2011.

It was a small area.  It took me a full day as I had to do all the work myself.  For this, I had the small gravel saved and kept.  River sand left over from the house construction was also available.  Now I had time on hand.  Only thing was cement which I bought that morning.  43-grade Coromandel Cement, one bag.

After removing all the slabs haphazardly paved as it was a temporary measure, I checked the level of the ground for a slope in the desired direction.  I chose the slabs to lay them in a neat fashion.  This is a new picture taken just after I had placed the main slabs. Picture from the other side of the path. Door of the new house visible in the background.

The junk shed floor is behind me as I am engaged in this new project. The tools shed is just out of the frame on the left.  Tea was supplied to the spot. Do not miss to spot it!

Concrete was filled into the gaps first leaving a quarter inch at the top for nice cement-sand mix to finish neatly.  Concrete was pounded in with a hammer so that it is firmly based into the soil.

This is another dose of tea as I take a picture of the finished project. Notice the long flat cement work on the right.  I have made a very shallow drain so that rainwater or any water runs along it to reach the jasmine plant's base. I will see later if there is a real need to continue the concreting further in the pathway. I have also kept the rain barrel on the right - the brick base for it can be seen.   Barrel/tank has been kept away to facilitate work.

Finally, I did this, having felt a great necessity particularly for this portion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be published only after the author of the blog reads them. Thanks.