Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Foam Roller for Paint Jobs

A part of our old tiled roof had been plastered with lime mortar some decades ago to prevent rain leakage through the tiles but the surface had developed cracks.  Rainwater was seeping into our room through those cracks. Filling the cracks with cement securely did not help. The surface was rough.  So, I decided to try painting on the surface to reduce absorption of water through any tiny crevice there may be.

Like all tiled roofs, this was also sloped.  I had to precariously sit on top of the 'cap tiles' to paint.  My hand's reach was only a few feet. The paint tin had to be held in one hand.  A rope was secured from the protruding rafters below at both the ends so that I could rest my feet on it for grip and paint the full area. That was the actual project.

In shops, I had seen a foam roller. I thought of using such a roller instead of a brush because of the rough surface. It would also mean that the sponge passing on it with some pressure filled the tiny dents.  The roller foam was a new thing here at that time, about ten years back.  It was slightly over-priced, or so I felt.  It set me thinking.  I decided it was a tool 'makeable' by me, using odd materials.

Web-grab image to show how neat the 'ready made' products can be.

I dove into my favourite place... where else, the junk pile!  All this project needed was 4 items and I knew I had them all.  Somehow, we junk-lovers can memorize the items! I found the right thickness and density of foam, a left over piece of something I had done before, a stiff iron handle from an old broken plastic bucket and just the right talcum powder box [cylindrical, empty]. I had the adhesive [rubber based] to stick foam. Materials on hand, this project work began. It took me less than half an hour!

First, the foam was stuck on the side of the powder box and its sides carefully joined with adhesive and also stitched for additional support. I made two holes at the ends of the two sides of the box to hold the handle for the 'roller'.  The handle was properly bent to suit the purpose and inserted into the holes. After the adhesive was dry, presto, the roller was ready for use!  Here is mine.. looks crude, yet, it works!  After all, it WAS junk!


I did a trial run with water on a wall to get a feel of my new tool.  It was fine!  Then I painted that roof surface nicely as it did not demand any precise finish due to its location. But the purpose of painting that part served well for some years.  I gave another two coats after some months.

This painting work is visible from the sky!  See this screenshot Google Earth image - white area inside the red rectangle indicated - click on picture to enlarge.

We no longer live under that very roof, but on the other half of the plot, under the long tiled roof you see there.

The crude faom-joint on the roller that produced lines was not a matter to worry in this particular project. For other works, all it needed was some light brushing to even out the visible lines.  This roller will help me to apply paint to the surface easily and quickly!  I like this roller! It saves a lot of time.  I used it last week to paint the inner walls of the new underground sump and finished the work in a jiffy!

Some pictures now.


Full view of house 2009.  The white roof can be seen.


Another closer view.


Another view. The other side of the slope also has this plaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be published only after the author of the blog reads them. Thanks.